Check out where to take your pup!
Dog-Friendly State Parks and Beaches
Dogs are welcome at select state parks and beaches in Santa Cruz County and coastal San Mateo County. This guide will help you and your four-legged friend have a happy, safe and legal visit.
Ver este video en español.
Tips for visiting local state parks and beaches with your dog:
- Each dog must be on a 6-foot maximum leash at all times and cannot be left unattended.
- Dog owners must pick up after their dogs and carry removal bags.
- Only take your dog to designated dog parks.
- Please note, some parks and beaches have restrictions on where dogs are allowed (see below).
Dog-friendly state parks and beaches:
- Bean Hollow State Beach
- Half Moon Bay State Beach Dogs are allowed in the campground, in day-use picnic areas and on the Coastal Trail.
- Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
- Lighthouse Field State Beach
- Manresa State Beach
- Manresa Uplands State Beach
- Natural Bridges State Beach Dogs are allowed on paved roads and in the parking lot.
- New Brighton State Beach
- The Forest of Nisene Marks State Park Dogs are allowed on the lower trails and Aptos Creek Road before the Summer Gate.
- Palm State Beach
- Pebble State Beach
- Portola Redwoods State Park Dogs are allowed in campsites, picnic areas, paved roads, and the Upper and Lower Escape Roads.
- Rio Del Mar State Beach
- San Gregorio State Beach Dogs are allowed on leash on the trails and in the parking and picnic areas.
- Seabright State Beach
- Seacliff State Beach
- Sunset State Beach Dogs are allowed in campsites.
- Twin Lakes State Beach
Dogs are not allowed at the following state parks and beaches:
- Año Nuevo State Park
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park
- Burleigh Murray Ranch State Park
- Butano State Park
- Castle Rock State Park
- Castro Adobe State Historic Park
- Coast Dairies State Park
- Fall Creek Unit of Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
- Gazos Creek State Beach
- Pescadero State Beach
- Pigeon Point Light Station State Historic Park
- Pomponio State Beach
- Rancho Del Oso Unit of Big Basin Redwoods State Park
- Santa Cruz Mission State Historic Park
- Wilder Ranch State Park