The CZU Lightning Complex is almost under control in the Santa Cruz Mountains but a few state parks and beaches in the region remain closed due to the fire. State park and beach closures include:
- Big Basin Redwoods State Park, including the Rancho Del Oso Unit and Waddell Creek State Beach (scroll down for more information about Big Basin)
- Butano State Park
- Gazos Creek State Beach
- the Fall Creek Unit at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
Some evacuations and road closures remain in effect. Please be safe and avoid closed areas. Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks will provide park-related updates on social media.
Friends Fire Fund established to aid State Parks with wildfire recovery
In the wake of the CZU Lightning Complex Fire, state parks and those who work in them need your help. The wildfire has caused heartbreaking devastation and disruption for our community, affecting our beloved state parks, as well as those who work in them.
Recovery from this climate disaster will happen in phases – for both parks and people. Many staff members from Friends and California State Parks were personally impacted by the fire, including dozens who tragically suffered catastrophic losses.
Friends is committed to taking care of the dedicated people who work hard to steward our beautiful local state parks, including staff of Friends of Santa Cruz State Parks and State Parks.
In response, and through our unique position as co-management partners with State Parks, we have established the “Friends Fire Fund.” The fund will initially provide direct, short-term assistance for those most affected by the fire, followed by investments to be made in long-term recovery work for parks that have been damaged.
Together, we will get through this crisis. If you would like to join us in our effort to support both people and parks during the recovery process, we very much welcome your support.
Big Basin Redwoods SP Update
- Historic Park Headquarters
- Historic (Main) lodge
- Ranger Station
- Nature Museum
- Maintenance Shop
- Multiple park residences, including some Saddle Mountain Property structures
- Multiple campground bathrooms
- Bridge between North Escape Road and Gazos Creek Road
- Many structures at Little Basin
- Jay Camp Seasonal Housing