10 Wheelchairs Available at State Beaches
Reserve a beach wheelchair for free!
The beach wheelchairs, which are free to use, improve access for visitors at local state beaches. Ten beach wheelchairs are available.
Beach wheelchairs can be reserved for day-use by filling out this form below. You also can email or call 831-335-8487 Monday to Thursday (excluding holidays), between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Please make reservations at least five business days before your visit.
- We also are partnering with Shared Adventures. This local nonprofit organization that provides year-round opportunities for social and recreational interaction for community members with disabilities, to provide additional access including multiday beach wheelchair use and beach wheelchairs for children.
- Can I reserve a beach wheelchair? Yes. Please fill out the form below at least five business days before your visit. You also can contact the State Parks Special Events Office in advance to reserve a beach wheelchair by email (SCD.firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (831-335-8487).
- What about requesting a wheelchair during the weekend? We highly recommend that you plan ahead and reserve a wheelchair prior to the weekend. Wheelchairs that haven’t been reserved can be requested during a weekend on the day of by speaking with a State Parks staff member at a lifeguard tower, visitor center or a kiosk.
- Can I use a beach wheelchair without a reservation? Yes. Any wheelchair that hasn’t already been reserved is available on a first-come, first-served basis. We strongly recommend that you coordinate ahead to reserve your beach wheelchair.
- Does it cost anything? State Parks’ beach wheelchairs are free to use. You will need to fill out a checkout form, provide contact information and a valid ID (license, real ID, passport, etc.) to take the wheelchair.
- How long can I use the beach wheelchair? Beach wheelchairs can typically be picked up after 9 a.m. and must be returned by 5 p.m.
- Will my reservation be valid if I am late to pick up the beach wheelchair? A reservation is valid up to one hour after the specified pick-up time. If the wheelchair is not picked up after the one-hour grace period, it will be made available for others to use. Please make sure to contact your designated State Parks staff (provided at the time of reservation) to inform them if you will be late.
- Are there any restrictions for beach wheelchair use? The beach wheelchairs can accommodate weight up to 300 pounds and have a seat width of 18 inches. All are equipped with seatbelts, but none have chest straps. Please bring your own chest strap if needed.
- Can I take the wheelchair to another beach or location? No. A beach wheelchair can only be used at its designated location and cannot be taken offsite.
- What if I want to use a beach wheelchair for more than a day? There are other organizations, such as Shared Adventures, that rent beach wheelchairs for more than a day.